You’re a new blogger! Congratulations! I’ll bet you are super excited to get going, grow a following and maybe even start making some money. (If you haven’t started your blog yet, I’ll walk you through how to do that right here.)
If you’ve got it all ready to go, even published a post or two, but not sure what the heck to do next or how to start getting people to read the blog, this is for you. Let everything take a back seat for just a moment, and do these four things.
4 Things A Brand New Blogger Must Do
1. Find a group. I firmly believe that it is almost impossible to begin blogging without some help. It is HARD. The cool thing is that there are lots of awesome groups and some really sweet bloggers. I am part of several Facebook groups where we trade ideas, ask for help and share each others posts. I couldn’t do it without them.
To find a group start with Facebook and request to join. Go to the search bar and type in your topic – for instance if your blog is about food mostly, type in food blog I see lots of groups I can request to join (just click the group and then click the green “join” button – then wait to be approved) and a few that are open.
After that, you can find other bloggers in your niche you admire and send them an email to introduce yourself.
If you are starting a blog email me! (firstname.lastname@example.org) I would love to promote your new posts.
2. Share, share, share. Take your newly created content and start sharing it everywhere you can: Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, email your friends… Find your favorite bloggers and popular Facebook pages in your niche and leave the link of your new post there.
Here is a list of bloggers who are happy to have you share on their page! Many times when looking for content to share with our readers, that is the first place we’ll look. Just go to their page and leave a link with a little snippet on the post.
Other places you can share your great stuff are:
- TasteSpotting for food blogs
- FoodGawker for food blogs
- CrawftGawker for craft and DIY projects
- StyleGawker for fashion bloggers
- Top Mommy Blogs for mom bloggers
3. Start building a following on social media. The process of building a strong social media presence can be very slow, that’s why you need to get started right away. In fact, you can start before your blog is even live.
People are looking for great content, not just your great content, so the strategy here is simple: share things you think are awesome. There is time for strategy down the road, but right now just pin a lot of really great things on Pinterest and on Facebook, post two or three articles, memes, etc. per day that you love. Things you would want to see if you were scrolling by.
4. Focus on imagery. People are very visual and in the social media world we live in, something needs to grab our attention to make us stop scrolling. It can be hard to do.
There are two things you can do which is learn to take really great photos and get a stock photo subscription plan. For things like crafts, food and DIY projects, photography is incredibly important. Here is a great photography ebook that is geared toward food is incredibly helpful for anyone learning to take great photos specifically for a blog.
For topics like parenting or relationships, stock photos are often best. If I write a post about divorce, I may not be able to take an appropriate photo in my living room that relates that. For stock photos, I use Shutterstock but there are a lot of options out there.
If you have any questions on your blogging journey I am happy to help along the way. Good luck!
Looking for more? Check out Building A Framework, 35 chapters of immediately actionable strategies and techniques to help you grow your following, work with brands, and make money from your blog.