1. He’s still my baby.
2. But he’s not at all a baby anymore.
3. He wants to spend more time with friends than he does me. Already.
4. I didn’t think that would happen for many more years.
5. He only needs me when he really needs me.
6. Like when he’s sick or is unable to do something like reach the top counter. Or anything he would prefer not to do like clean his room.
7. But I feel like I must be doing something right.
8. Because he is so confident in himself. He’s not supposed to rely on me all the time, right?
9. He doesn’t realize he’s only seven.
10. In his mind he’s 25.
11. And 25 year olds don’t need their mamas.
12. But he’s so sweet to me. He is full of compliments and thinks I’m pretty.
13. I can see him growing every day. It’s happening so fast.
14. I feel like tomorrow morning he’s going to have facial hair and a deep, raspy voice.
15. He has so much personality. A personality he’s developed all on his own with parts I don’t understand. How did he get so stubborn? Is that from me?
16. He’s obsessed with all things sports. There is a ball in his hands almost always.
17. He’s good at most of them, too. His athleticism certainly does not come from his mother.
18. He is still so little in so many ways, like when I watch him tie his shoes or put on Star Wars pajamas.
19. But he seems so old when I watch him run off with friends at school.
20. I can see this perfect split of baby boy and growing young man.
21. And it makes me so sad to see my baby go but so very proud to see him grow.