This kids reading challenge is going to be so fun for us to do this summer. I love thinking of ways that can get my brand new readers excited about books. (Scroll down for a free printable.)
I made this so I can keep the kids searching for new things to read this summer and turn it into a bit of a competition… can you get through all of these??
- Kids get to pick whatever book in that category that they choose.
- If they don’t like the book they can choose another one.
- This doesn’t necessarily need to be done in any time period or order unless you want to. Longer books may take more time.
- The goal is FUN! Try new books and challenge yourself to read more. Parents can play along, too!
- Read a book about a historical figure.
- Read a book about an animal.
- Read a book that starts with the letter B.
- Read a book that is funny.
- Read a book by Ronald Dahl.
- Read a book about a girl.
- Read a book about a boy.
- Read a book that is your best friends favorite.
- Read a book about a historical event.
- Read a book about courage.
- Read a book that was a favorite of your parents.
- Read a book that starts with the word The.
- Read a book about Summer.
- Read a fairytale.
- Read a book that rhymes.
- Read a book of fantasy.
- Read a book by Dr. Seuss.
- Read a book about a holiday.
- Read a book about science.
- Read a book about love. (Doesn’t have to be romantic love.)
- Read a book by Judy Blume.
- Read a book about someone from another part of the world.
- Read a book about the sea.
- Read a book with a King or a Queen.
- Read a book from the year you were born.
Feel free to make this your own by exchanging ideas on this list for your own. Maybe your kids want to add in a scary book or a book about aliens! Whatever you need to do to make this fun, do it.
Liz is a just a mom trying to keep it real about how little she sleeps, how often she gets puked on and how much she loves them. You can find her here every day writing about real-mom moments.