Modern rules for staying at home alone.
My kids aren’t old enough to stay home alone yet but with each passing day they get a little closer. My son is turning eight in a few weeks, and I can’t help but realize how soon he is going to ask to stay home instead of running errands with mom.
Scroll down for a free printable.
When that day comes, I think these rules are very important. I plan to keep these printed and pasted right on the fridge so they will not be forgotten.
10 Rules For Staying Home Alone
- Keep all doors locked at all times.
- Do not answer the door for anyone.
- Make sure phone always stays above 50% battery life.
- In an emergency, always call 9-1-1 first.
- No posting on social media that you are home alone.
- No using the stove.
- You MUST answer the phone when mom or dad calls.
- Check in with parent via phone call every half hour.
- No playing outside.
- No guests.
When should your kids stay home alone?
Most assessments say between the ages of 13-15. Kids should be able to do several things before staying home:
- Understand properly how to call 9-1-1 and what is in fact an emergency.
- Be trustworthy to follow the rules.
- Be able to get their own drink and snack without climbing on counters.
- Won’t be scared or nervous.
Click Here To Print – click, print and hang for kids to see
At the end of the day, its is the parents choice as long as you don’t live in a state with particular laws.
More Great Ideas
Liz is a just a mom trying to keep it real about how little she sleeps, how often she gets puked on and how much she loves them. You can find her here every day writing about real-mom moments.