5 Things I Learned My First Days as A Father
1. My wife is amazing. I just watched her bring a baby into this world. The strength of a woman is like nothing else I’ve ever seen.
2. A sense of pride like never before. I helped make a human being. A precious human that will forever look up to me and that I am responsible for. I remember walking around the hospital feeling like I was bulletproof. I had my head held high and chest poked out that I had a son. I was so proud to be this boy’s father.
3. How hard it was going to be. Fatherhood is filled with a ton of joys but it isn’t easy. Even if you have an amazing wife like mine that carries the burden of most the responsibilities, it still isn’t easy. I am responsible for another human being. He is a direct reflection of myself and I owe it to him to be the best I can be, but he was so small and seemed so fragile, lol. My life had forever changed. It will be harder now. No more just worrying about myself. Very few opportunities to just be lazy. Fatherhood is a tough job but worth every second.
4. I had a new best friend. I have tons of friends and even a few I claim as my best friends, but those days are over. The day my wife gave birth to our son he claimed my best friend slot for the rest of my life. I love being with him. I love the way he looks up to me and I love the way he is so eager to learn from me and how he really wants to just be around me. He teaches me a lot.
5. Even though this little precious thing has now stolen my heart, claimed my best friend slot and brings so much joy into my life, I realized pretty early that it can’t all be fun. As much as I love to play with my son and give him everything I can, I’m responsible for him. I have to mold him into a man and that will come with a lot of tough times. Hardships that he may not understand but that I truly believe will make him a better person. I can’t just be his friend, I have to be his father.